[Colloquium] REMINDER: Talk by Igor Pak Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon May 18 08:21:38 CDT 2009

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, May 18, 2009
Time: 3:45 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Igor Pak

From:		University of Minnesota

Website: 	http://www.math.umn.edu/~pak/

Title:      Combinatorics and Complexity of Partition Bijections

Abstract:       The study of partition identities has a long history
going back to Euler, with applications ranging from Analysis to Number
Theory, from Enumerative Combinatorics to Probability. Partition
bijections is a combinatorial approach which often gives the shortest
and the most elegant proofs of these identities. These bijections are
then often used to generalize the identities, find “hidden
symmetries”, etc. In the talk I will present a modern approach to
partition bijections based on the complexity ideas and geometry of
random partitions. We show that certain “natural” bijections do not
exist, even for some classical partition identities.

Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in RY 255.