[Colloquium] TTI-C Colloquium: Matthew Stephens, University of Chicago

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Thu Jan 29 11:18:20 CST 2009

*** TTI-C moved!  This talk will be held at our new location, one block
southwest of the Press Building.  You can see a map here:
http://maps.uchicago.edu/farsoutheast/ ***

When:              Monday, February 2 @ 2:00pm

Where:            TTI-C Conference Room #526,
		6045 S Kenwood Ave, 5th Floor

Who:                Matthew Stephens, University of Chicago

Title:                 Large-scale Bayesian regression: A novel prior
distribution, with applications to genome wide association studies

Ongoing large-scale genetic association studies, in an attempt to identify
variants and genes affecting susceptibility to common diseases, are typing
hundreds of thousands of genetic variants (SNPs) in thousands of
individuals, with the aim of identifying which SNPs are associated with
disease status. Standard statistical analyses consider each SNP in turn, and
perform hundreds of thousands of univariate tests. Here we consider
analysing all SNPs simultaneously using Bayesian variable-selection multiple
regression (in the context of a continuous response). We suggest a novel
prior distribution for the effect sizes of associated SNPs, based on the
overall proportion of variance explained. We assess the computational
feasibility of this approach through simulation, and investigate its merits
relative to standard univariate analyses. Our methods should be of general
interest to those interested in sparse regression and variable selection
problems.

Contact:          David McAllester, TTI-C         mcallester at tti-c.org