[Colloquium] TTI-C Distinguished Lecture Series JAN 26- Geoffrey Hinton (University of Toronto)

Christina Novak cnovak at tti-c.org
Tue Jan 20 09:14:03 CST 2009

Good morning,

Please join us for the Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago's first
2009 Distinguished Lecture Series speaker, Dr. Geoffrey Hinton.

Monday, January 26th, 2009    (1-3pm)

Geoffrey Hinton (University of Toronto)

"Recent Developments in Learning Deep Networks"

Abstract:

I will start by describing an efficient, modular, unsupervised learning
procedure for deep generative models that contain millions of parameters and
many layers of hidden features.  The features are learned one layer at a
time without any information about the final goal of the system. This
approach leads to excellent generative models of handwritten digits.

I will then describe three recent improvements. First, I will describe a
better learning algorithm for the module that is used to learn each layer of
features greedily. Then I will describe a more powerful type of generative
module that contains multiplicative interactions so that hidden units at one
level can switch in pairwise interactions between hidden units at the level
below.

Finally I will describe an application to recognizing stereo images of 3-D
objects from the NORB database. For this task, deep belief nets outperform
the best published results.

(More details on all speakers- see http://tti-c.org/dls)

UPDATE:  Lecture will be held from 1:00- 3:00pm

UPDATE:  Location is at the University of Chicago International House
(Assembly Hall)

                   1414 E. 59th St.

                   Chicago, IL 60637

We look forward to seeing you at the lecture!

Sincerely,

David McAllester

TTI-C Chief Academic Officer

For questions about the TTI-C Distinguished Lecture Series, please contact:

 Chrissy Novak cnovak at tti-c.org or (773)834-2216.