[Colloquium] Talk by Ronen Basri, Weizmann Inst and TTI-C, May 4, 2009

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 27 09:19:55 CDT 2009

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, May 4, 2009
Time: 3:45 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Ronen Basri

From:		Weizmann Institute and TTI- C

Website: 	http://www.tti-c.org/basri.php

Title:       Visibility Constraints on Features of 3D Objects

Abstract:        To recognize three-dimensional objects it is
important to model how their appearances can change due to changes in
viewpoint. A key aspect of this involves understanding which object
features can be simultaneously visible under different viewpoints. We
address this problem in an image based framework, in which we use a
limited number of images of an object taken from unknown viewpoints to
determine which subsets of features might be simultaneously visible in
other views. This leads to the problem of determining whether a set of
images, each containing a set of features, is consistent with a single
3D object. We assume that each feature is visible from a disk of
viewpoints on the viewing sphere. In this case we show the problem is
NP-hard in general, but can be solved efficiently when all views come
from a circle on the viewing sphere. We also give iterative algorithms
that can handle noisy data and converge to locally optimal solutions
in the general case. Our techniques can also be used to recover
viewpoint information from the set of features that are visible in
different images. We show that these algorithms perform well both on
synthetic data and images from the COIL dataset. Joint work with Pedro
Felzenszwalb, Ross Grishick, David Jacobs and Caroline Klivans.

Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in RY 255.