[Colloquium] TTI-C Talk: Ashutosh Saxena, Stanford

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 23 10:34:06 CDT 2009

> When:             Thursday, April 30th @ 11:00am (lunch will be provided
> after talk)
>
> Where:            6045 S Kenwood Ave, TTI-C Conference Room #526 (5th
> Floor)
>
> Who:               Ashutosh Saxena, Stanford University
>
> Title:                Robotic Grasping and Depth Perception: Learning 3D
> Models from a Single Image

The ability to perceive the 3D shape of the environment is a basic ability
for a robot. We present an algorithm to convert standard digital pictures
into 3D models.

This is a challenging problem, since an image is formed by a projection of
the 3D scene onto two dimensions, thus losing the depth information.
We take a supervised learning approach to this problem, and use a Markov
Random Field (MRF) to model the scene depth as a function of the image
features. We show that, even on unstructured scenes of a large variety of
environments, our algorithm is frequently able to recover accurate 3D
models.

We then apply our methods to robotics applications: (a) obstacle avoidance
for autonomously driving a small electric car, and (b) robot manipulation,
where we develop vision-based learning algorithms for grasping novel
objects. This enables our robot to perform tasks such as open new doors,
clear up cluttered tables, and unload items from a dishwasher.