[Colloquium] TTI-C Colloquium: David Israel, SRI International

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Mon Oct 27 07:57:38 CDT 2008

When:             TODAY: Monday, October 27 @ 2:00pm

Where:            TTI-C Conference Room: 1427 E. 60th St, 2nd Floor

Who:                David Israel, SRI International

Title:                 There Aren't Any Real Belief-Desire Intention
Theories Out There ...

                         But Mine!!  (And really, I'm not too sure about
mine.)

Over the last 20+ years, a number of researchers in AI have presented
accounts of agents and architectures for agents that those researchers have
called "Belief-Desire-Intention" (BDI) models.    I think very few, if any,
of those accounts deserve the name.   While a dispute over names is unlikely
to be either illuminating or profitable, I will argue that there are quite
important issues at stake -- not with respect to naming conventions, but
with respect to how one thinks about agents.  This will involve my sketching
an account that really is a BDI account, and if time allows, relating some
of the issues raised to issues that once precipitated great debates among
statisticians of different stripes.

Contact:          David McAllester, TTI-C         mcallester at tti-c.org
702-5562