[Colloquium] RECEPTION CORRECTION: Prahladh Harsha Talk

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 23 09:15:26 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Prahladh Harsha

From:		University of Texas at Austin

Web page:	http://ttic.uchicago.edu/~prahladh/

Title: The Communication Complexity of Correlation

Abstract: Abstract: In this talk, we examine the communication
required for generating correlated random variables remotely. Consider
a pair of joint random variables (X,Y). Suppose Alice is given a
sample x distributed according to X, and she has to send a message to
Bob who is then required to generate a value with distribution exactly
Y|_{X=x} (i.e, the conditional distribution of Y given X=x). We
consider the minimum expected number of bits (which we call C(X:Y))
Alice needs to send Bob to achieve this. We show that if Alice and Bob
are allowed to share random bits (independent of Alice's input x),
then Alice need send no more than approximately the mutual information
number of bits. More formally,
  I[X:Y] <= C(X:Y) <= I[X:Y] + O(log I[X:Y]) + O(1)

  where I[X:Y] = H[X] + H[Y] - H[X,Y] is the mutual information
between the random variables X and Y.

As an application of this characterization of mutual information, we
derive a direct sum theorem in communication complexity that
substantially improves the previous such result shown by Jain et al
2003.

Our proofs are based on a rejection sampling procedure that relates
the relative entropy between two distributions to the communication
complexity of generating one distribution from the other.

There will be a reception following the talk in RY 255.