[Colloquium] Talk by Nicole Immorlica, Northwestern University on November 24, 2008

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 12 10:15:33 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Monday, November 24, 2008
Time: 3:45 p.m.
Place: RY 251

Speaker:	Nicole Immorlica

From:		Northwestern University

Web page:	 http://www.ece.northwestern.edu/~nickle/

Title:  The Role of Compatibility in Technology Diffusion on Social
Networks

Abstract:  In many settings, competing technologies -- for example,
operating systems, instant messenger systems, or document formats --
can be seen adopting a limited amount of compatibility with one
another; in other words, the difficulty in using multiple technologies
is balanced somewhere between the two extremes of impossibility and
effortless interoperability. There are a range of reasons why this
phenomenon occurs, many of which -- based on legal, social, or
business considerations -- seem to defy concise mathematical models.
Despite this, we show that the advantages of limited compatibility can
arise in a very simple model of diffusion in social networks, thus
offering a basic explanation for this phenomenon in purely strategic
terms. Our approach builds on work on the diffusion of innovations in
the economics literature, which seeks to model how a new technology A
might spread through a social network of individuals who are currently
users of technology B. We consider several ways of capturing the
compatibility of A and B, focusing primarily on a model in which users
can choose to adopt A, adopt B, or -- at an extra cost -- adopt both A
and B. We characterize how the ability of A to spread depends on both
its quality relative to B, and also this additional cost of adopting
both, and find some surprising non-monotonicity properties in the
dependence on these parameters: in some cases, for one technology to
survive the introduction of another, the cost of adopting both
technologies must be balanced within a narrow, intermediate range. We
also extend the framework to the case of multiple technologies, where
we find that a simple model captures the phenomenon of two firms
adopting a limited "strategic alliance" to defend against a new, third
technology. Joint work with J. Kleinberg, M. Mahdian, and T. Wexler.

Refreshments will be served prior to the talk in RY 255 at 3:00.