[Colloquium] [statseminars] Statistics PhD Presentation: BAOGUAN KE, Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM

statseminars-admin at listhost.uchicago.edu statseminars-admin at listhost.uchicago.edu
Fri May 9 17:14:13 CDT 2008

The University of Chicago
Department of Statistics
Ph.D. Seminar

BAOGUAN KE
Department of Statistics
The University of Chicago

A Method for Genetic Mapping of Quantitative Traits
and Related Statistical Problems

THURSDAY, May 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM
110 Eckhart Hall, 5734 S. University Avenue

ABSTRACT

Association mapping of quantitative trait loci is a challenging problem,
especially when a lot of the existing variants are not genotyped. In
this talk, I will present a new statistical method for this problem. The
method is based on monotone regression for independent samples. It can
be used to test association between a trait and a genotyped SNP, one or
several haplotypes or an untyped SNP. I will also present an application
of this method to a genome-wide data set.

The above-mentioned test of association between the trait and the
untyped SNPs makes use of information on the joint distribution of
genotypes for the genotyped and untyped SNPs, which is estimated using a
reference data set where all such SNPs are genotyped. Using an estimate
from another data set introduces variability which is ignored in many
studies. We study the effect of this variability, and develop a theory
for estimation and hypothesis testing in the case when nuisance
parameters in the model are estimated from another data set. I will
present some asymptotic results derived for this setting.

Information about building access for persons with disabilities may be
obtained in advance by calling Jewanna Carver
at 773.834-5169 or by email (carver at galton.uchicago.edu).