[Colloquium] Reminder: Talk by Marie Rognes, University of Oslo, Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed May 7 07:24:35 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Marie Rognes

From:		University of Oslo

Web page:	http://folk.uio.no/meg/

Title: Linear Viscoelasticity: Stress-Displacement Mixed Finite
Element Methods with Weak Symmetry

Abstract: We consider small deformations of a viscoelastic medium in
the quasi-static equilibrium. The basic Maxwell and Kelvin-Voigt
models are given special attention. We discuss a mixed finite element
method based on a stress-displacement formulation of the underlying
elastic structure. Particular emphasis will be put on a formulation
enforcing the symmetry of the stress tensor weakly. We demonstrate how
this approach gives a unified, robust and flexible method for the
generalized models for linear viscoelasticity, before concluding with
a demonstration of convergence rates and other numerical experiments.
Joint work with Professor Ragnar Winther, CMA, and Professor Hans
Petter Langtangen, Simula Research Laboratory.