[Colloquium] Date Correction: Talk by Eric Vigoda, Georgia Institute of Technology on Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 31 09:43:40 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Place: Kent 120, 1020 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Eric Vigoda

From:		Georgia Institute of Technology

Web page:	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vigoda/

Title: Markov Chain Monte Carlo Algorithms

Abstract: In this talk, I'll look at the design and analysis of Markov
Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) algorithms.  In the first part of the talk I
will present MCMC algorithms which yielded the first polynomial-time
algorithms for important combinatorial problems.  In particular, I'll
present MCMC algorithms for sampling/counting 0-1 contingency tables
with arbitrary row/column sums, and estimating the permanent of a non-
negative matrix.  These algorithms require a sophisticated simulated
annealing type approach, with a sequence of problem instances starting
from a trivial instance (infinite temperature) and slowly moving to
the instance of interest (zero temperature).

In the second part of the talk I will discuss the use of MCMC
algorithms in evolutionary biology for phylogenetic reconstruction.
I'll present some recent work in that setting where heterogeneous data
causes the MCMC algorithms to be slow to converge to the desired
posterior distribution.