[Colloquium] Updated abstract for: JUNE 12- Simon Peyton Jones (Microsoft Research- Cambridge)

Christina Novak cnovak at tti-c.org
Thu Jun 5 11:28:22 CDT 2008

Beg your pardon.  Below is the correct abstract.  Thank you!

The Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago would like to invite you to
our 2008 Distinguished Lecture Series on the University of Chicago Campus.
Our third and final speaker in the series will be Simon Peyton Jones.
(Details, see http://tti-c.org/dls)

The lecture will be held at 3:30pm

Biological Sciences Learning Center (room 115- 1st floor)

924 East 57th St.

Chicago, IL 60637

Thursday, June 12th, 2008

"Exploiting Multicores with Nested Data Parallelism in Haskell"

Simon Peyton Jones

Microsoft Research- Cambridge

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj

ABSTRACT:

There are many approaches to exploiting multi-cores, but a particularly
promising one is the "data-parallel" paradigm, because it combines massive
parallelism (on both shared and distributed memory) with a simple,
single-control-flow programming model. Indeed, I think that data parallelism
is the only way we will be able to exploit tens or hundreds of processors
effectively.

Alas, data-parallel programming is usually restricted to "flat" data
parallelism, which is good for implementers but bad for programmers.
Instead, I'll describe the "nested" data parallel programming model, first
developed in the 90's by Blelloch and Sabot. It is great for programmers but
much harder to implement; as a result, it's virtually unknown in practice.
It's really only feasible to support nested data parallelism in a purely
functional language, so we are building a high-performance implementation in
Haskell.

In this talk I'll explain what nested data parallelism is, why it's
important, and what progress we have made. Fear not: I won't assume you know
any Haskell. Yet.

We look forward to seeing you at the lecture.