[Colloquium] Reminder: Talk by Daniel Nurmi, University of California - Santa Barbara, Today

caseyk caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 27 07:51:20 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Daniel Nurmi

From:		University of California - Santa Barbara

Web Page:	http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~nurmi/

Title:  Statistical Virtualization of Resources for High Performance
Computing

Abstract:	 Users of high performance computing (HPC) systems generally
rely on concurrency to achieve performance. Modern users have the
ability to draw from a vast array of distributed HPC resources due to
the ever increasing quality of software and networks that connect
these resources. However, as the pool of resources available to users
grows, so does the level of resource heterogeneity and performance
response dynamism. In this talk, I will discuss a new technique that
uses statistical methodologies to manage resource performance
dynamism, and virtualization techniques to abstract away resource
heterogeneity. In particular, I will show how we have successfully
applied the idea of “statistical virtualization” to manage the
dynamism found in both provisioning delay and availability of HPC
resources, and have been able to provide our solution to the HPC
community as a generally applicable service. Finally, I will outline
the next steps that are required before a fully statistically
virtualized HPC resource can be realized, and discuss some of the
challenges we face in pursuit of this goal.