[Colloquium] Talk by Mark Braverman, University of Toronto on Today - Reminder

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:02:17 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Friday, February 15, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th St.

Speaker:  Mark Braverman

From:	University of Toronto

Web page:  http:/www/cs/toronto.edu/~mbraverm/

Title: Computability and Complexity of Julia sets

Abstract:  Studying dynamical systems is key to understanding a wide
range of phenomena ranging from planets' movement to climate patterns
to market dynamics. Various numerical tools have been developed to
address specific questions about dynamical systems, such as predicting
the weather or planning the trajectory of a satellite. However, the
theory of computation behind these problems appears to be very
difficult to develop. While we have vast knowledge about computability
and complexity of discrete problems, little is known about
computability of even the most natural problems arising from dynamical
systems.

The focus of our study is dynamical systems that arise from iterating
quadratic polynomials on the complex plane. They give rise to the
amazing variety of fractals known as Julia sets, and are closely
connected to the Mandelbrot set. Julia sets are perhaps the most drawn
objects in Mathematics due to their fascinating fractal structure. The
theory behind them is even more fascinating, and the dynamical systems
generating them are in many ways archetypal.

In this talk we discuss what it means for a planar set to be
computable. We then present a variety of recent results, both positive
and negative, on the computability and complexity of Julia sets. In
particular we show that while the vast majority of Julia sets are
computable - many even in polynomial time, some are as hard to compute
as the Halting Problem and will never be drawn. The work paves the way
to understanding computational properties of more complicated
dynamical systems.

  ****************************

Host:  Laci Babai

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Nita

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-6019
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."