[Colloquium] Mihai Patrascu, MIT- TTI-C Talk

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Mon Apr 21 09:05:26 CDT 2008

When:             Tuesday, April 22 @ 2:30pm

Where:            TTI-C Conference Room

Who:                Mihai Patrascu, MIT

Topic:              Data STRUCTURES

We show that a large fraction of the data-structure lower bounds known today
in fact follow by reduction from the communication complexity of lopsided
(asymmetric) set disjointness! This includes lower bounds for:

* high-dimensional problems, where the goal is to show large space lower
bounds.

* constant-dimensional geometric problems, where the goal is to bound the
query time for space O(n.polylg n).

* dynamic problems, where we are looking for a trade-off between query and
update time. (In this case, our bounds are slightly weaker than the
originals, losing a lglgn factor.)

Our reductions also imply new lower bounds for range reporting, the partial
match problem, and reachability oracles.

Contact:          Prahladh Harsha, TTI-C         prahladh at tti-c.org
834-2549