[Colloquium] Ashok Veeraraghavan: University of Maryland, College Park- TTI-C Talk

Julia MacGlashan macglashan at tti-c.org
Wed Apr 16 09:12:59 CDT 2008

When:              Thursday, April 17 @ 10:30am

Where:            TTI-C Conference Room

Who:                Ashok Veeraraghavan, University of Maryland, College
Park

Topic:              "Less is More" - Coded Computational Photography

I will present the idea that a simple patterned attenuator (mask) acts as a
very powerful modulator and allows us to come up with enhanced optical
designs for alleviating many of the problems with traditional photography
such as motion blur, focus blur and glare. I will show how a simple mask
that can be printed on a transparency allows dramatic increase in the depth
of field of the camera.  Next, I will argue that alternative
higher-dimensional representations of visual information (such as
light-fields) allow for efficient and tractable algorithms for several
traditionally hard vision problems such as depth estimation and separation
of depth and texture edges. I will discuss how a simple high resolution mask
allows the recovery of light-fields from a single captured image.

I will also briefly touch upon another area of interest - Pattern
recognition in video and show applications of such techniques to problems
such as action recognition, simultaneous tracking and behavior analysis and
video mining. The common link underlying these applications is the use of
spatio-temporal information for robust estimation.

Contact:          Greg Shakhnarovich, TTI-C         greg at tti-c.org
834-2572