[Colloquium] Reminder: Talk by Chi-Keung Luk, Intel Corporation Today

Katie Casey caseyk at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 4 07:59:07 CDT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Friday, April 4, 2008
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th Street

Speaker:	Chi-Keung Luk

From:		Intel Corporation

Web page:	http://www.ckluk.org/ck/

Title: Exploiting Multicore Parallelism with Dynamic Instrumentation
and Compilation

Abstract: The emerging multicore era has brought many opportunities
and challenges to systems research. Two of the challenges I have been
focusing on are (i) how to provide detailed analysis of parallel
programs and (ii) how to map computations in a parallel program to the
underlying hardware in order to achieve the optimal performance.

For (i), we have developed the Pin dynamic instrumentation system,
which has become very popular for writing architectural and program
analysis tools. By inserting instrumentation codes on the fly, Pin can
perform fine-grain monitoring of the architectural state of a program.
As an example, I will discuss a parallel programming tool called
Thread Checker which we built with Pin for detecting common parallel
programming bugs like data races and deadlocks. I will also discuss
the dynamic compilation techniques behind Pin. In addition, I will
present an extension of Pin called PinOS, which performs whole-system
instrumentation (i.e. including both OS and applications) by using
virtualization techniques.

For (ii), I have developed the Qilin parallel programming system,
which exploits the hardware parallelism available on machines with a
multicore CPU and a GPU. Qilin provides a C++ API for writing data-
parallel operations so that the compiler is alleviated from the
difficult job of extracting parallelism from serial code. At runtime,
the Qilin compiler automatically partitions these API calls into tasks
and maps these tasks to the underlying hardware using an adaptive
algorithm. Preliminary results show that our parallel system can
achieve significant speedups (above 10x) over the serial case for some
important computation kernels.

At the end, I will outline my future works in parallel programming,
compilation, and virtualization.