[Colloquium] Talk by Mark Newman, University of Michigan, on Friday November 9, 2007

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:34:16 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

CO-SPONSORED BY TTI-C & UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Date: Friday, November 9, 2007
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251, 1100 E. 58th St.

Speaker:  MARK NEWMAN

From: Department of Physics and Center for the Study of Complex Systems
    University of Michigan

Web page:  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/

Title: The large-scale structure of real-world networks

Abstract:

    Many systems take the form of networks: the Internet, the World
Wide Web,
    social networks, citation networks, metabolic networks, food
webs, and
    neural networks are just a few examples.  In this talk I will
show some
    recent empirical data for these and other networks and discuss
how we can
    discover and understand their large-scale structure and its
implications.
    The problem is that many networks are too large to visualize in
their
    entirety, so to understand what they "look like" we need
algorithmic or
    statistical techniques to pick useful patterns out of large
network data
    sets.  I will describe recent work on several methods that
attempt to
    detect structural features such as clustering and hierarchy using
    spectral and other techniques.  I will give a variety of
illustrative
    applications throughout the talk.

If people want to look at the papers ahead of time, these two are
suitable:

    Modularity and community structure in networks, M. E. J. Newman,
    Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 8577-8582 (2006).
    http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0602124

    Mixture models and exploratory data analysis in networks, M. E.
J. Newman
    and E. A. Leicht, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 9564-9569 (2007).
    http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0611158

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Hosts:  Stephen Smale & Partha Niyogi

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events