[Colloquium] Talk by Ian Witten on Thursday, November 1, 2007

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 8 14:54:12 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Thursday, November 1, 2007
Time: 12:00 noon
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  IAN WITTEN
From: University of Waikato, New Zealand

Web page:  http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ihw/

Title: Finding documents and reading them: Keyphrase indexing, Topic
browsing, Realistic books

Abstract: My research group in New Zealand is working on several
projects in information retrieval. I will present an algorithm for
automatically extracting keyphrases that uses machine learning to
determine the most significant phrases in a document based on their
statistical, syntactic, and semantic properties. I will describe a
novel interface for interactive query expansion that uses a thesaurus
derived from Wikipedia to bridge the terminology of the user's query
and the terminology used within documents. Finally I will demonstrate
a realistic three-dimensional book-style visualization of documents
in a digital library collection. Physical book models offer readers
something beyond traditional computer-based paging or scrolling
systems, and can be enhanced with metadata to further enrich the
browsing experience.

Bio: Ian H. Witten is Professor of Computer Science at the University
of Waikato in New Zealand where he directs the New Zealand Digital
Library research project. His research interests include information
retrieval, machine learning, text compression, and programming by
demonstration. He has published widely in these areas, including
several books, the most recent being Managing Gigabytes (1999), How
to build a digital library (2003), Data Mining (2005) and Web Dragons
(2007), all from Morgan Kaufmann. He received an MA in mathematics
from Cambridge University, England; an MSc in computer science from
the University of Calgary, Canada; and a PhD in electrical
engineering from Essex University, England. He is a fellow of the ACM
and of the Royal Society of New Zealand. He received the 2004 IFIP
Namur Award, a biennial honour accorded for “outstanding contribution
with international impact to the awareness of social implications of
information and communication technology” and the 2005 SIGKDD Service
Award for “an outstanding contribution to the data mining field” and
in 2006 the Royal Society of New Zealand Hector Medal for “an
outstanding contribution to the advancement of the mathematical and
information sciences.”

Host:  Ian Foster

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events