[Colloquium] Talk by Alexander Razborov on Monday, November 26, 2007

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 20 08:45:27 CST 2007

COMPUTER SCIENCE

The University of Chicago

Monday, November 26, 2007

2:30 p.m.

Ryerson 251

Alexander Razborov

Steklov Mathematical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences

http://www.mi.ras.ru/~razborov/

Title: Grand Challenges in Complexity Theory

Abstract: Modern complexity theory is a vast, loosely defined area.
Its methods and methodology can be successfully applied whenever one
has a set of tasks, a class of admissible solutions, and numerical
characteristics to measure the ``quality'' of a solution. This talk
will focus on two specific scenarios: classical computational
complexity and proof complexity. The story we will tell, however, is
highly representative of the methods that have been tried in the
field at large, with its mixed bag of successes, setbacks, and
promising directions.

I will try to reveal some of the tight, beautiful and unexpected
connections existing between different branches of complexity theory.
I will discuss the ``grand challenges'' of the field, including "P vs
NP" and questions about the power of classical proof systems.

Host:  Laci Babai

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*

Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614

Nita

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-6019
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."