[Colloquium] Mark Newman

Gary Hamburg ghamburg at tti-c.org
Fri Nov 2 12:52:29 CST 2007

This talk is sponsored by the University of Chicago and TTI-C.  The contact
for this event is Steve Smale (834-2510) smale at tti-c.org.  It will be held
on Friday, November 9, in 251 Ryerson from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm.

The large-scale structure of real-world networks.

Mark Newman

Department of Physics and Center for the Study of Complex Systems

University of Michigan

Many systems take the form of networks: the Internet, the World Wide Web,
social networks, citation networks, metabolic networks, food webs, and
neural networks are just a few examples.  In this talk I will show some
recent empirical data for these and other networks and discuss how we can
discover and understand their large-scale structure and its implications.

The problem is that many networks are too large to visualize in their
entirety, so to understand what they "look lie" we need algorithmic or
statistical techniques to pick useful patterns out of large network data
sets.  I will describe recent work on several methods that attempt to detect
structural features such as clustering and hierarchy using spectral and
other techniques.  I will give a variety of illustrative applications
throughout the talk.