[Colloquium] REMINDER: talk by Michael Spertus on Thursday, May 31st

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed May 30 16:27:08 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Thursday, May 31st, 2007
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251 (1100 E. 58th St.)

MICHAEL SPERTUS
Distinguished Engineer
Symantec Research Labs

http://www.symantec.com/

Title:  Are you ready for C++0X?

Abstract:

The ANSI/ISO C++ standards committee is finishing the draft language
for the first major language revision in 6 years. Expected (but not
yet certain!) new features include:

    * Concepts, a type system for templates that, among other things,
      will make templates pleasant to use by eliminating the
      spectacularly  poor error messages produced by today's template
      libraries.

    * Programmer-controlled garbage collection that can be compatibly
      mixed with explicit memory management.

    * Threads, concurrency and atomic operations: multi-core here we
come.

    * Library extensions including new smart pointers, regular
      expressions, and metaprogramming support.

    * Much more: variadic templates, lambda, inheriting constructors,
      rvalue references,...

I will describe some of the more exciting new features, along with
the standards committee discussions and motivation.

***Refreshments will be served BEFORE the talk in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Stuart A. Kurtz

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events