[Colloquium] Talk by Michael Spertus on May 31st, 2007

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed May 23 14:29:49 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Thursday, May 31st, 2007
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251 (1100 E. 58th St.)

MICHAEL SPERTUS
Distinguished Engineer
Symantec Research Labs

http://www.symantec.com/

Title:  Are you ready for C++0X?

Abstract:

The ANSI/ISO C++ standards committee is finishing the draft language
for the first major language revision in 6 years. Expected (but not
yet certain!) new features including Concepts, a type system for
templates that, among other things, will make templates pleasant to
use by eliminating the spectacularly poor error messages produced by
today's template libraries. Programmer-controlled garbage collection
that can be compatibly mixed with explicit memory management threads,
concurrency and atomic operations: multi-core here we come library
extensions including new smart pointers, regular expressions, and
metaprogramming support much more: variadic templates, lambda,
inheriting constructors, rvalue references...

I will describe some of the more exciting new features, along with
the standards committee discussions and motivation. I'll also talk
about when you can expect to see the standard, vendor-
implementations, and what you can do in the meantime.

Host:  Stuart A. Kurtz

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events