[Colloquium] Today: Boven/MS Presentation/May 14, 2007

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon May 14 13:50:13 CDT 2007

This is a reminder about Bradley Boven's MS Presentation this afternoon.

----------------------------
Date:  Monday, May 14, 2007

Time:  3:30 p.m.

Place:  Ryerson 276

M.S. Candidate:  Bradley Boven

M.S. Paper Title:  Approaches and Issues in Dialog Act Tagging

Abstract:
Dialog acts are a key component of language that provide a basis for
spoken language understanding between humans.  A dialog act (DA)
represents the meaning of an utterance at the level of an
illocutionary force [Stolcke et al.,2000].  They convey not the
semantic meaning of an utterance, but rather the function an
utterance is intended to serve.  Examples of these labels include
questions, statements, backchannels, floor controls, and disruptions.

Dialog acts are an important aspect of language as they help both
humans and language systems understand what a user is trying to
convey semantically by first understanding their words functionally.
Thus, predicting dialog act tags has been studied for several decades
as a means to improve our language understanding systems as a whole.
In this paper we analyze many of the influential DA tagging
approaches to date. In doing this, we explain many of the influential
corpora and DA tagsets, as well as the tagging schemes themselves,
breaking down both the techniques used and the feature sets that make
up each model.  We also try to understand the driving motivation
behind each different strategy to help the reader understand why the
feature sets and their combined techniques were chosen. We then
investigate these approaches as a collection to determine what
features are most important to creating an accurate dialog act
tagger, and also what techniques work best when paired with these
different feature sets.  We then investigate new research aimed at
quantitatively investigating which of these feature sets work best
both individually and in combination with one another, when applied
to different tagging techniques and classifiers.   Finally, we look
at what has approaches have been successful and what challenges we
face in the future as we try to design new algorithms to tackle this
complex research question.

Advisors: Professors Gina-Anne Levow and John Goldsmith

A draft copy of Brad Boven's MS Paper is available in Ry 161A.

Margaret P. Jaffey                             margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 161A)        (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago                  http://www.cs.uchicago.edu