[Colloquium] REMINDER: today's talk by Nilesh Dalvi

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 28 09:05:47 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK REMINDER

Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251 (1100 E. 58th St.)

Speaker: NILESH DALVI, University of Washington

Web page: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/nilesh/

Title: Managing Uncertainty Using Probabilistic Databases.

Abstract:

Uncertainty is a fundamental problem underlying several modern
database applications: exploratory queries in databases, data
integration, querying information extracted from the Web, queries over
sensor networks, scientific data management, reasoning about privacy
breaches in data mining and many others.

In this talk, I will describe probabilistic databases as a unifying
framework to manage the various kinds of uncertainties that arise in
these wide range of applications. In a probabilistic database, each
data item has a probability of belonging to the database and queries
return answers that are ranked by probabilities. The main challenge
here is query evaluation. Unlike in traditional databases, some
queries have a #P-complete complexity. I will present the results of
our study of the complexity of queries and present algorithms and
techniques for efficient query evaluation over probabilistic databases.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Anne Rogers

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events