[Colloquium] Guest Speaker

Ponda Barnes pondabarnes at tti-c.org
Wed Mar 7 13:27:14 CST 2007

 TTI-C Guest Speaker

Presented by: Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Shai Shalev-Schwartz
Speaker's home page:
http://seminars.ijs.si/pascal/2005/nips05_whistler/video.asp?video_id=1196

Date: Thursday, March 8, 2007
Location: TTI-C Conference room
Time: 12:30

Title:
Convex Repeated Games, Regret, and Duality.

Abstract:

We describe an algorithmic framework for an abstract game, which we term a
convex repeated game.  We show that various machine-learning algorithms for
online learning and boosting can be all derived as special cases of our
algorithmic framework.  This unified view explains the properties of
existing algorithms and also enables us to derive several new interesting
algorithms.  Our algorithmic framework stems from a connection that we build
between the notions of regret in game theory and weak duality in convex
optimization.  We also underscore the applicability of convex repeated games
and the derived algorithmic framework for stochastic optimization, and game
theory.

If you have any questions or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Ponda Barnes at pondabarnes at tti-c.org.
For future TTI-C talks and events, please go to
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/cal/month.php