[Colloquium] Guest Speaker Announcement

Ponda Barnes pondabarnes at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 26 10:20:07 CDT 2007

Guest Speaker

Presented by: Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Karen Livescu
Speaker's homepage:  http://people.csail.mit.edu/klivescu/

Date: Thursday, April 26, 2007
Time: 2:00 pm
Location: TTI-C Conference room

Title: Factoring Speech Into Linguistic Features

Abstract:

Spoken language technologies, such as automatic speech recognition and
synthesis, typically treat speech as a string of "phones".  In contrast,
humans produce speech through a complex combination of semi-independent
articulatory trajectories.  Recent theories of phonology acknowledge this,
and treat speech as a combination of multiple streams of linguistic
"features".  In this talk, I will present ways in which the factorization of
speech into features can be useful in speech recognition, in both audio and
visual (lipreading) settings.  The main contribution is a feature-based
approach to pronunciation modeling, using dynamic Bayesian networks.  In
this class of models, the great variety of pronunciations seen in
conversational speech is explained as the result of asynchrony among feature
streams and changes in individual feature values.  I will also discuss the
use of linguistic features in observation modeling via feature-specific
classifiers.  I will describe the application of these ideas in experiments
with audio and visual speech recognition, and present analyses suggesting
additional potential applications in speech science and technology.

If you have any questions or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Ponda Barnes at pondabarnes at tti-c.org
For future TTI-C talks and events please go to
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/cal/month.php