[Colloquium] FW: [TTIC Colloquium] Guest Speaker announcement

Ponda Barnes pondabarnes at tti-c.org
Tue Apr 24 10:02:26 CDT 2007

Reminder!!

Guest Speaker

Presented by: Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Andrea Bertozzi
Speaker's homepage:  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~bertozzi/

Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Time: 2:00pm
Location: TTI-C Conference room

Title: Swarming by Nature and by Design

Abstract:

The cohesive movement of a biological population is a commonly observed
natural phenomenon.  With the advent of platforms of unmanned vehicles, this
occurrence is attracting renewed interest from the engineering community.
This talk will review recent research results on both modeling and analysis
of biological swarms and also design ideas for efficient algorithms to
control groups of autonomous agents.  For biological models, we consider two
kinds of systems: driven particle systems based on force laws and continuum
models based on kinematics rules.  Both models involve long-range social
attraction and short-range dispersal and yield patterns involving clumping,
mill vortices, and surface-tension-like effects.  For artificial platforms,
we consider the problem of boundary tracking of an environmental material
and consider both computer models and demonstrations on real platforms of
robotic vehicles.  We consider the motion of vehicles using artificial
potentials.

If you have any questions or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Ponda Barnes at pondabarnes at tti-c.org
For future TTI-C talks and events please go to
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/cal/month.php