[Colloquium] FW: Guest Speaker Announcement

Ponda Barnes pondabarnes at tti-c.org
Mon Apr 23 09:24:09 CDT 2007

Reminder!!

Guest Speaker

Speaker: Amit Deshpande
Speaker's home page: http://www.mit.edu/~amitd/

Date: Monday, April 23, 2007
Time: 10:00am
Location: TTI-C Conference room

Title: Sampling-Based Algorithms for Dimension Reduction.

Abstract:

Large data sets can often be visualized as points in a high-dimensional
Euclidean space, and finding their low-dimensional representations has many
applications in data-mining, statistics, and clustering. In this talk, I
will present some algorithms that find such low-dimensional representations
by looking only at a small sample of the original data, chosen cleverly on
the fly.

In particular, we will discuss two problems -- low-rank matrix approximation
and subspace approximation. On these problems, our algorithms outperform
other popular techniques such as random projection and SVD (Singular Value
Decomposition), and improve upon the previous results on low-rank matrix
approximation due to Frieze-Kannan-Vempala.

(Based on joint works with Luis Rademacher, Santosh Vempala, Grant Wang, and
Kasturi Varadarajan.)

If you have any questions or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Ponda Barnes at pondabarnes at tti-c.org
For future TTI talks and events, please go to
http://ttic.uchicago.edu/cal/month.php