[Colloquium] Reminder: talk by Peter Winkler on Monday, Nov. 13th

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 12 18:51:59 CST 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Monday, November 13, 2006
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251
Speaker:  PETER WINKLER

From:  Dartmouth

Title:  Scheduling, Percolation, and the Worm Order

Abstract:

Scheduling sequences of reals to minimize their maximum sum leads
naturally to a partial order on real words which we call the "worm order".
We show that in any submodular system there is a maximal chain which is
minimum in the worm order among all paths from 0 to 1; this results in
conditions under which a process can be scheduled without taking backward
steps, and also enables us to analyze a form of coordinate percolation.

Joint work with Graham Brightwell (LSE) and in part with Lizz
Moseman (Dartmouth).

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Lance Fortnow

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events