[Colloquium] REMINDER: Mondays's talk by Nesime Tatbul (fwd)

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun May 7 21:07:54 CDT 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Monday, May 8, 2006
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  NESIME TATBUL

From:  Brown University

Title:  Load Shedding Techniques for Data Stream Management Systems

Abstract:

In recent years, we have witnessed the emergence of a new class of
applications that must deal with large volumes of streaming data. Examples
include financial data analysis on feeds of stock tickers, sensor-based
environmental monitoring, and network traffic monitoring. Traditional
database management systems (DBMS) which are very good at managing large
volumes of stored data, fall short in serving this new class of applications,
which require low-latency processing on live data from push-based sources.
Aurora is a data stream management system (DSMS) that has been developed
to meet these needs.

A DSMS such as Aurora may be subject to higher input rates than its
resources can handle. When input rates exceed system capacity, the system
will become overloaded and Quality of Service (QoS) at system outputs will
fall below acceptable levels. Under these conditions, the system will shed
load by selectively dropping tuples, thus degrading the answer, in order
to improve the observed latency of the results. In this talk, I will
present a load shedding framework for data stream management systems which
handles the overload problem in a light-weight manner, while minimizing
the loss in result accuracy and guaranteeing subset results at query
outputs.

One of the triggering factors behind the data stream processing research
has been the rapid development in sensor-based technologies and applications.
In my talk, I will also briefly describe a real sensor network application.
I will show that significant resource efficiency can be achieved through
other forms of load management on streaming sensor data.

Bio:

Nesime Tatbul is a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at Brown
University. Her research interests are in database systems, with a current
focus on stream and sensor data management. She received her B.S. and M.S
degrees in Computer Engineering from the Middle East Technical University
in Turkey, and she holds an M.S. degree in Computer Science from Brown
University. During her graduate years at Brown, she also worked as a research intern
at the IBM Almaden Research Center, and as a consultant for the U.S. Army Research
Institute of Environmental Medicine.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Svetlozar Nestorov

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events