[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speaker @ TTI-C Today (3/9/06)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Mar 9 07:40:43 CST 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speaker Today ***********
                               March 9, 2006
        Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Matthew Fluet, Cornell University
Speaker's home page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/fluet/

Date: Thursday, March 9, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  10:00am
Title:  Type-systems for Resource Conscious Programs
Abstract:
Resources, such as file descriptors or memory, are precious commodities in
computations. Improper use of a resource, such as reading from a closed file
or accessing deallocated memory, can be the source of many program bugs.
Yet, conventional languages and type systems cannot statically identify
these improper uses as potential points of failure. In contrast, type
systems for resource conscious programs are designed to statically catch
improper uses of resource primitives. My research has focused on improving
the type systems for resource conscious programs.

In this talk, I'll review some problematic uses of resources before
examining three "flavors" of type systems: * an established type-and-effect
system (a la Gifford-Jouvelot and Tofte-Talpin) * a novel monadic type
system * a novel substructural type system. The monadic type system draws
inspiration from (and generalizes) the state monad of Launchbury and Peyton
Jones. This monadic type system trades the subtleties of the type-and-effect
system for the simplicity of a monadic system, where plain old parametric
polymorphism (a la System F) provides sufficient encapsulation.

However, both the type-and-effect system and the monadic type system require
that resources have last-in-first-out (LIFO) lifetimes following the block
structure of the program. The substructural type system eliminates this LIFO
restriction. The key idea is to separate the lifetime of a resources from
the scope of the resource's name, by providing explicit resources creation
and destruction primitives. Finally, I'll examine some promising
applications of these systems.
------
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.
For information on future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C
Events page:  http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th
Street, Chicago, IL  60637)