[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speakers @ TTI-C Today (3/2/06)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Mar 2 07:40:54 CST 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speaker Today***********
                      March 2, 2006
        Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker:  Kristen Grauman, MIT-CSAIL
Speaker's home page: http://people.csail.mit.edu/kgrauman/

Date: Thursday, March 2, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  10:00am

Title:  Efficient Matching for Recognition and Retrieval

Abstract:

Local image features have emerged as a powerful way to describe images of
objects and scenes.  Their stability under variable image conditions is
critical for success in a wide range of recognition and retrieval
applications.  However, comparing images represented by their collections of
local features is challenging, since each set may vary in cardinality and
its elements lack a meaningful ordering.  Existing methods compare feature
sets by searching for explicit correspondences between their elements, which
is too computationally expensive in many realistic settings.  I will present
the pyramid match, which efficiently forms an implicit partial matching
between two sets of feature vectors.  The matching has linear time
complexity, naturally forms a Mercer kernel, and is robust to clutter or
outlier features, a critical advantage for handling images with variable
backgrounds, occlusions, and viewpoint changes.  I will show how this
dramatic increase in performance enables accurate and flexible image
comparisons to be made on large-scale data sets, and removes the need to
artificially limit the size of images' local descriptions.  As a result, we
can now access a new class of applications that relies on the analysis of
rich visual data, such as place or object recognition and meta-data
labeling.  I will provide results on several important vision tasks,
including our algorithm's state-of-the-art recognition performance on a
challenging data set of object categories.

------
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.
For information on future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C
Events page:  http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th
Street, Chicago, IL  60637)