[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speakers at TTI-C June 5-9, 2006

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Mon Jun 5 08:35:11 CDT 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speakers Next Week***********
			June 5 - June 9
Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

(1)
Speaker:  Robert Kleinberg,  University of California, Berkeley
Speaker's home page:  http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rdk/

Date: Monday, June 5, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  11:00am

Title:   Learning an Admission Threshold

Abstract:

 We will present algorithms for a class of online learning problems in which
the function to be learned satisfies a monotonicity constraint.  A
prototypical example is the following problem.  Suppose you are presented
with a list of n tests, whose success probabilities form a monotonically
increasing sequence.  Other than this monotonicity property, you have no
knowledge of the success probabilities of the tests.  You must perform a
sequence of experiments, each consisting of choosing one of the n tests and
observing the outcome of a Bernoulli trial with the corresponding success
probability.  The goal is to identify the test which is closest to having a
specified success probability, using as few experiments as possible.  (This
can be regarded as a binary search problem with noisy feedback.)  We present
algorithms which match the information-theoretic lower bound, up to a
constant factor, for this problem and some related search problems.
    This is joint work with Richard Karp.

(2)
Speaker:  Sean Mooney, Indiana University
Speaker's Homepage:  http://compbio.iupui.edu/mooney/