[Colloquium] Guest Speakers @ TTI-C Next Week (2/27/06-3/3/06)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Fri Feb 24 10:41:52 CST 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speakers (4) Next Week***********
                      February 27 - March 3, 2006
        Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

(1)

TTI-C Show and Tell Series
Speaker: Cristian Sminchisescu, TTI-C
Speaker's home page: http://www.tti-c.org/sminchisescu.html

Date: Monday, February 27, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  12:00 pm (Lunch)
           12:15pm (Talk)

Title:  Generative and Conditional Models for Visual Inference

Abstract:

In this talk, I will discuss ongoing work on using conditional models of
various kinds for visual reconstruction and recognition, and I will show
applications to 3d human motion analysis in monocular video.  I will
illustrate the key ingredients that make the computation efficient,
including the use of observation context, sparsity, low- dimensionality and
mixture modeling.  I will also describe some of the limitations of
conditional models, and show how more reliable estimates can be obtained by
jointly learning bidirectional, conditional-generative tandems.

(2)

Speaker:  Ryan O'Donnell, Microsoft Research Theory Group
Speaker's home page: http://research.microsoft.com/~odonnell/