[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speakers @ TTI-C TODAY (2/21 @ 10 AM)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Tue Feb 21 07:42:54 CST 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speaker TODAY***********
Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Nir Ailon, Princeton University
Speaker's home page: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~nailon/

Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  10:00 am

Title:

New Algorithms for High-Dimensional, Inconsistent Datasets

Abstract:

(1) The problem of Rank Aggregation is that of combining inconsistent
rankings of some base set suggested by different voters.  This problem was
originally studied in the 18th century in the context of social choice and
has recently attracted the attention of computer scientists in surprising
new contexts.

I will present new algorithms improving on the previously best known.  En
route, I will discuss the related graph-theoretic problem of Minimum
Feedback Arc-Set in Tournaments.  I will also discuss related results and
follow-up work on cluster aggregation, hierarchical clustering and
phylogeny.

(2) Dimension reduction is one of the most important tools in algorithms for
large datasets.  The known (linear) dimension reduction techniques require
multiplying the data points by a dense matrix.  I will show the surprising
fact that using the Fourier transform it is possible to obtain a significant
speedup of this computation.  This idea is inspired by the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle from physics.

Time permitting; I will briefly touch upon other areas I am working in.

------
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.
For information on future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C
Events page:  http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th
Street, Chicago, IL  60637)