[Colloquium] Talk by Ryan O'Donnell on March 1, 2006

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 15 09:24:02 CST 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2006
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  RYAN O'DONNELL

From:  Microsoft Research Theory Group

Title:  Constraint Satisfaction and Property Testing

Abstract:

For most constraint satisfaction problems such as finding the maximum
cut in a graph, or trying to solve an overconstrained system of
equations, it is hard to find an optimal solution. Nevertheless, one
still wants to find algorithms that come as close to the optimum as
they can. Unfortunately, the best known algorithms and the best known
hardness results do not yet match for many basic problems.

In this talk I will talk about recent attempts to find the sharp
boundaries between P and NP for approximating constraint satisfaction
problems. Interestingly, progress on proving hardness results mostly
comes by finding more efficient algorithms in the area of "property
testing''. I will describe new such algorithms and mention how their
analysis is connected to such diverse areas as voting theory and the
"double bubble'' problem. As an example consequence of these
connections, we get complexity-theoretic evidence that there is no
efficient algorithm for finding the maximum cut in a graph with
guarantee better than Goemans-Williamson's.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Lance Fortnow

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks, please see: http://
www.cs.uchicago.edu/events