[Colloquium] Talk by David Pennock, Yahoo! Research, Wed. January 3, 2007

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 22 09:23:22 CST 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson Annex 277

Speaker:  David M. Pennock

From:  Yahoo! Research

Title:  Computational Aspects of Prediction Markets

Abstract:

Securities markets (e.g., stocks, options, insurance, ... even
sports bets) are known to provide accurate forecasts of future
events. Recently, a number of new markets and market games have
appeared on the Internet with the goal of predicting everything
from political elections to Hollywood box office receipts to the
discovery of extraterrestrial life. I will discuss some of
the relevant computational issues, including combinatorics,
computational complexity, automated market makers, Bayes-net
structured markets, and compound markets based on propositional
logic. I will present work on characterizing the nature and limits
of distributed computation in markets.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Lance Fortnow

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks, please see: http://
www.cs.uchicago.edu/events