[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speakers @ TTI-C Tomorrow (4/27/06)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Wed Apr 26 14:11:00 CDT 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speaker Tomorrow ***********
                                     April 27, 2006
        Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker: Mark Sandler, Cornell University
 Speaker's home page:  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~sandler/

Date: Thursday, April 27, 2006
Time: 10:00 am
Location: TTI-C conference room

Title:  Algorithms for Mixture Models: Analysis and Experiments

Abstract:

Mixture models form one of the most fundamental classes of generative models
for clustered data, and they have numerous applications in information
retrieval, computer vision, and other fields.  However, until very recently,
there have been only a few algorithms known that can provably guarantee
reconstruction of the model with small error, given observed data.  In this
talk we present algorithms for two different learning problems which enjoy
this property.  We also present results of experiments performed on
collection of abstracts from ArXiV using one of our algorithms.

One interesting property shared by both our algorithms is that they are
based on the use of the L1-norm, and we show that it is a better choice than
Euclidean norm for these problems.

------
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or  <mailto:kcumming at tti-c.org> kcumming at tti-c.org

For information on future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C
Events page:  http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th
Street, Chicago, IL  60637)