[Colloquium] Reminder: Guest Speakers @ TTI-C Today (4/13/06)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 13 09:59:47 CDT 2006

**********TTI-C Guest Speakers Today***********
                                 April 13, 2006
        Presented by:  Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Speaker:  Mohammad Mahdian, Microsoft Research Theory Group
Speaker's home page:  <http://research.microsoft.com/~mahdian/>
http://research.microsoft.com/~mahdian/

Date: Thursday, April 13, 2006
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Time:  10:00 am

Title:   Marriage, Honesty, and Stability

Abstract:

Many centralized two-sided markets, such as the medical residency market,
form a matching between participants by running a stable marriage algorithm.
It is a well-known fact that no matching mechanism based on a stable
marriage algorithm can guarantee truthfulness as a dominant strategy for
participants. However, as we will show in this talk, in a certain
probabilistic setting, truthfulness is (in some sense) the best strategy for
the participants. We show this by proving that in our setting the set of
stable marriages is small. We derive several corollaries of this result.
First, we show that, with high probability, in a stable marriage mechanism,
the truthful strategy is the best response for a given player when the other
players are truthful. Then we analyze equilibria of the deferred acceptance
stable marriage game. We show that the game with complete information has an
equilibrium in which a $(1-o(1))$ fraction of the strategies are truthful in
expectation. In the more realistic setting of a game of incomplete
information, we will show that the set of truthful strategies form a
$(1+o(1))$-approximate Bayesian-Nash equilibrium. Our results have
implications in many practical settings and were inspired by experimental
observations in a paper of Roth and Peranson (1999) concerning the National
Residency Matching Program.

Speaker:  Venkati Guruswami ,University of Washington
Speaker's home page: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/venkat/