[Colloquium] Machine Learning Reading Group (Monday 11/21 @ 2pm)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Mon Nov 21 07:49:03 CST 2005

Machine Learning Reading Group at
TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE

Speaker:  Hariharan Narayanan, University of Chicago, CS Department
Speaker's homepage:  http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~hari/

Time:  Monday, November 21 @ 2:00 PM
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room

Title: Approximating the Surface Volume of Convex Bodies

Abstract:

We present a new polynomial time algorithm for
approximating the surface volume of convex bodies. The central idea
behind this approach is to make use of the observation that the amount
of heat that flows out of a convex body is controlled by the surface
volume of the boundary of this body. Our approach generalizes to the
problem of volume computation for arbitrary manifolds but loses its
polynomial time nature in this general setting. For convex bodies with
smooth boundaries, our complexity bounds are the best as far as we can tell.

   (joint work with Mikhail Belkin and Partha Niyogi)

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Sham Kakade (MLRG Organizer) at sham at tti-c.org. For information on future
TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html OR contact Katherine at 773-834-1994 or
kcumming at tti-c.org TTI-C (1427 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL  60637).