[Colloquium] Reminder: Toyota Technological Institute Talk Today @2:00pm

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Mon Jan 24 10:03:50 CST 2005

Talk at Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Monday, January 24th, 2:00 pm
Speaker:  Robert Kirby, University of Chicago
Speakers Home Page:  http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/people/kirby

Title: Some Aspects of Automating and Optimizing the Finite Element
Method

Abstract:
The FEniCS project is working toward developing the theory and tools
needed to automatically generate finite element code for the numerical
solution of partial differential equations as part of a broader vision
of the automation of computational mathematical modeling. Finite element
methods offer us a machine where the kind of approximating functions is
an input parameter, but we still must obtain practical, computable
representations for a particular basis for these approximating spaces. I
will present a general framework, encoded in FIAT, for the automatic
generation of representations for basis functions for a wide class of
finite element spaces. In the second part of the talk, I will switch
gears to discussing the local computation on each element of the finite
element mesh. While FIAT and a simple change of variables give us a
representation for the basis functions everywhere, they do not imply
particular algorithms for efficiently computing the local element
matrices needed to build the global matrix. As doing these small local
calculations actually represents a considerable amount of the total
effort expended in a finite element computation, we present a
graph-based optimization technique to determine very efficient
algorithms for computing these local matrices in terms of certain
quantities computed by FIAT.
This is joint work with many people, especially Matt Knepley (ANL),
Anders Logg (TTI-C), and Ridgway Scott (UC).
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 4-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org. For information on future
TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html

Place: TTI-C conference room (1427 E. 60th St. - 2nd Floor) Refreshments
Provided