[Colloquium] Toyota Technological Institute Talks Next Week 1/24-25@2:00pm

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Wed Jan 19 10:02:23 CST 2005

Talks at Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago

Monday, January 24th, 2:00 pm
Speaker:  Robert Kirby
Speakers Home Page:  http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/people/kirby

Title:  Computational and mathematical aspects of turbulence and chaos

Tuesday, January 25th, 2:00 pm
Speaker: Claes Johnson
Speaker's homepage: http://www.math.chalmers.se/%7Eclaes/

Title: Computational and mathematical aspects of turbulence and chaos.

Abstract:

We show that using adaptive finite element methods it is possible on a
PC to compute quantities of interest for a variety of incompressible
turbulent flows, by computationally solving the Navier-Stokes equations
without user-specified turbulence models. Based on these results, we
question the official formulation of the Clay Institute Millennium Prize
Problem asking for a proof of (non)existence of smooth solutions to the
Navier-Stokes equations, and we suggest a new formulation.

Place: TTI-C conference room (1427 E. 60th St. - 2nd Floor) Refreshments
Provided

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 4-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org