[Faculty] [Colloquium] Gregory Chockler, Wednesday 2/23/05 today Reminder

Nita Yack nitayack at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 23 09:46:47 CST 2005

COMPUTER SCIENCE
The University of Chicago
TALK

Wednesday, February 23, 2005
2:30 p.m.
Ryerson 251

Gregory Chockler,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~grishac/

Title: Abstractions for Reliable Distributed Storage

Abstrac: Recently, there has been an increasing interest in distributed
storage
systems where a collection of storage nodes is directly accessible to
clients over the Internet. Fault-tolerance is an important concern in
these systems due to the increased risk of component outages, software
bugs and malicious attacks.  In this talk, I will present a variety of
abstractions and building blocks (such as shared memory primitives,
distributed agreement, leader election, etc.) that facilitate the
development of a reliable distributed store. I will discuss the
possibility and cost of implementing these abstractions in terms of
the failure resilience, communication and memory complexity. The focus
will be on tolerating arbitrarily corrupt (Byzantine) storage nodes.
If time permits, I will finish with a brief outline of my ongoing work
focusing on fault-tolerant computing in wireless ad hoc networks.

Host:  Janos Simon
*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151