[Colloquium] Reminder: Talks Today @ TTI-C: Kaariainen & DeVito

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 28 08:45:14 CDT 2005

Matti Kaariainen
University of Helsinki
Homepage:  http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mtkaaria/
On Semi-Supervised Bounds
April 28, 2005 11:00am
Abstract:
This presentation is about generalization error bounds in a
semi-supervised learning setting. I will present the learning model, a
bound for the realizable case, and a technique for obtaining bounds by
derandomizing bounds for randomized classifiers using unlabeled data.
The resulting bounds require only the iid assumption and can be combined
with any learning algorithm. Promising initial results on applying one
of these bounds, the cross-validation bound, to model selection are also
presented.

Ernesto DeVito
University of Modena-Learning Theory Program
Homepage:  http://cdm.unimo.it/home/matematica/devito.ernesto/
Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Spaces of Square Integrable Functions.
April 28, 2005 3:00pm
Abstract:
In this talk, I will present a characterization of reproducing kernel
Hilbert spaces whose elements are square-integrable functions in terms
of the {\em boundedness} of the integral operator whose kernel is the
reproducing kernel. As a consequence, the spectral decomposition of this
integral operator gives a complete description of the reproducing
kernel. These kinds of result extend the Mercer theorem to non compact
spaces

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org. For information on
future TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events
<http://ttic.uchicago.edu/events/events_dyn.php>  page.