[Colloquium] Raicu/M.S. Presentation/May 6, 2005

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 22 16:56:46 CDT 2005

This is an announcement of Ioan Raicu's Master's Presentation.

---
Date:  Friday, May 6, 2005

Time:  1:30 p.m.

Place:  Ryerson 276

M.S. Candidate:  Ioan Raicu

M.S. Paper Title:  A Performance Study of the Globus Toolkit® and Grid
Services via DiPerF, an automated DIstributed PERformance testing
Framework

Abstract:
The Globus Toolkit® (GT®) is the “de facto standard” for grid
computing. Measuring the performance of various components of the GT®
in a wide area network (WAN) as well as a local area network (LAN) is
essential in understanding the performance that is to be expected from
the GT® in a realistic deployment in a distributed and heterogeneous
environment. Furthermore, measuring the performance of grid services in
a WAN is similarly important due to the complex interactions between
network connectivity and service performance.
Performing distributed measurements is not a trivial task, due to
difficulties 1) accuracy – synchronizing the time across an entire
system that might have large communication latencies, 2) flexibility –
in heterogeneity normally found in WAN environments and the need to
access large number of resources, 3) scalability – the coordination of
large amounts of resources, and 4) performance – the need to process
large number of transactions per second. In attempting to address these
four issues, I developed DiPerF, a DIstributed PERformance testing
Framework, aimed at simplifying and automating service performance
evaluation. DiPerF coordinates a pool of machines that test a single or
distributed target service, collects and aggregates performance metrics
from the client point of view, and generates performance statistics.
The aggregate data collected provides information on service
throughput, service response time, on service ‘fairness’ when serving
multiple clients concurrently, and on the impact of network latency on
service performance.
DiPerF is a modularized tool, with various components written in
C/C++/perl; it has been tested over PlanetLab, Grid3, and the Computer
Science Cluster at the University of Chicago. I have implemented
several variations (ssh, TCP, UDP) on the communication between
components in order to give DiPerF the most flexibility and scalability
in a wide range of scenarios. I have investigated both the performance
and scalability of DiPerF and found that DiPerF is able to handle up to
10,000+ clients and 100,000+ transactions per second; I also performed
a validation study of DiPerF to ensure that the aggregate client view
matched the tested service view and found that the two views usually
matched within a few percent.
In profiling the performance of the GT®, we investigated the
performance of three main components: 1) job submission, 2) information
services, and 3) a file transfer protocol. All these components of the
Globus Toolkit® are vital to the functionality, performance, and
scalability of the grid. We specifically tested: 1) pre WS GRAM and WS
GRAM included with GT® 3.2 and 3.9.4, 2) the scalability and
performance of the WS-MDS Index bundled with GT® 3.9.5, and 3) the
scalability and fairness of the GridFTP server included with the GT®
3.9.5. We also investigated the performance of two grid services: 1)
DI-GRUBER, a distributed usage SLA-based broker, a grid service based
on the Globus Toolkit® 3.2 and 3.9.5, and 2) instance creation and
message passing performance in the Globus Toolkit® 3.2.
Through the various test case studies I performed using DiPerF, I
believe it has proved to be a valuable tool for scalability and
performance evaluation studies, as well as for automated extraction of
service performance characteristics. We conclude with future work that
could benefit from the foundation established by DiPerF; we outline how
we believe the performance models that can be extracted from DiPerF can
be used to perform predictive scheduling in the Grid.

Advisor:  Prof. Ian Foster

A draft copy of Ioan Raicu's MS Paper will be available soon in Ry 161A.

--
Margaret P. Jaffey				margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 161A)		(773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago		http://www.cs.uchicago.edu