[Colloquium] Reminder: Talks Today @ TTI-C: Claes Johnson & Jackie Shen (4/21)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 21 09:08:13 CDT 2005

Guest Speaker

Speaker:  Claes Johnson, Chalmers University of Technology
Speaker's Homepage:  http://www.math.chalmers.se/~claes/

Time:  Thursday, April 21st, 2005 @ 10:00am
Place:  TTI-C Conference Room
Title:  Irreversibility in Reversible Systems
Abstract:
We propose a new foundation of thermodynamics based on reversible
Hamiltonian mechanics in the form of the Euler equations for inviscid
fluid flow, combined with finite precision computation in the form of
General Galerkin G2. We show that the Second Law is a consequence of the
First Law combined with G2.

Guest Speaker

Speaker:  Jackie Shen, PACIM University of Minnesota
Speaker's Homepage:  http://www.math.umn.edu/~jhshen/

Time:  Thursday, April 21st, 2005 @ 3:00pm
Place:  TTI-C Conference Room
Title:  Variational/PDE Methods in Image and Vision Analysis
Abstract:
By quantum mechanics, all basic particles (photons, electrons, quarks,
and gluons, etc) and their interactions are governed by probabilistic or
stochastic rules. Mother Nature however presents herself with great
regularities at the macro continuum scales, including, for example,
smooth water surface-waves or soap bubbles under surface tensions.

In exactly the same manner, the variational/PDE approach to image and
vision modeling can be considered as a regularized version of the
powerful Bayesian framework in the stochastic setting. Consequently, it
is not immune to the universal balance constraint: the tradeoff between
regularity and fidelity. In this talk, I will mainly focus on several
successful variational/PDE models that I have worked on recently, and
emphasize their geometric, functional, biological, Bayesian, stochastic,
and digital implications.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org. For information on
future TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events
<http://ttic.uchicago.edu/events/events_dyn.php>  page.