[Colloquium] Reminder: talk by V. Ramasubramanian - Monday, April 11, 2005 (fwd)

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 10 19:14:36 CDT 2005

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Date: Monday, April 11th, 2005
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  Venugopalan Ramasubramanian

From: Cornell University

Title: Building High Performance Scalable Infrastructure Services
through Analysis-driven Caching

Abstract:

Caching in distributed systems has been traditionally performed in an
ad-hoc manner; nodes opportunistically cache objects that they
encounter using heuristics for cache management. In this talk, I will
describe a novel form of caching, where objects are proactively
replicated based on an analysis of performance
trade-offs. Analysis-driven caching poses the fundamental trade-off
between performance and overhead as an optimization problem, determines
the optimal caching strategy through numerical algorithms, and
replicates objects using inexpensive distributed protocols. I will
present Honeycomb, an analysis-driven caching framework for structured
overlays, which provides an order of magnitude improvement in lookup
performance, from O (log N) to O (1), with minimal network and storage
overhead.

Honeycomb has been used to build three infrastructure services, a name
service to replace the current Domain Name System (DNS), a content
distribution network, and a publish-subscribe based aggregator for Web
MicroNews. In this talk, I will present performance evaluations of
these services deployed on Planet-Lab to show that they provide better
lookup latency than legacy services, adapt quickly to sudden upheavals
in query distribution, and quickly disseminate updates to objects.

Host: John Reppy

*Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 after the talk*

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.