[Colloquium] Reminder: today's talk by Matthew Flatt

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:49:34 CST 2004

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  MATTHEW FLATT

From:  University of Utah

Title: Processes without Partitions

Abstract:

The PLT Scheme virtual machine provides constructs for controlling
programs in the same way that an operating system provides facilities
for managing processes. Unlike a conventional operating system,
however, the PLT Scheme virtual machine does not partition the space
of allocated objects among different processes. Instead, all objects
reside in the same space, while process protection and control are
enforced through a safe programming language.

Our design gives programmers flexibility in using process-like
constructs for managing tasks within a program. For example, program
can create a resource container for easy cancellation of an internal
task. Meanwhile, despite the single space of objects, our design
supports meaningful accounting of memory; the garbage collector can
determine memory usage for a process and (in cooperation with the
cancellation mechanism) enforce per-process memory limits. Finally,
PLT Scheme's support for termination-safe objects allows a programmer
to implement a sensible termination policy for an object that is
shared among processes.

The talk will demonstrate how our design enables the implementation of
the DrScheme programming environment (which runs concurrently with
programs developed in the environment on a single virtual machine) and
the PLT web server (which runs servlets as separate processes in the
virtual machine).

Host: Robert Findler

*Refreshments will follow the talk in Ryerson 255*

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.