[Colloquium] REMINDER Zhu talk today 2:30 at TTI-C

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Mon Mar 29 08:51:00 CST 2004

Toyota Technological Institute Talk

Speaker:  Sencun Zhu
Speaker's Homepage:  http://mason.gmu.edu/~szhu1

Date:  Monday, March 29, 2004
Time:  2:30 PM
Place:  TTI-C, 1427 E. 60th St., 2nd Floor (University Press Building)
Refreshments Provided

Title:  "Efficient Security Mechanisms for Distributed Sensor Networks "

Abstract:

Many sensor systems are deployed in unattended and often adversarial
environments; therefore, security mechanisms that provide data confidentiality
and authentication are critical for their operation. However, providing security
for these networks is particularly challenging due to the resource limitations
of sensor nodes, e.g., 4MHZ processor, 4KB RAM, and 19.2 Kbps bandwidth
(Berkeley MICA Motes). Thus, most of the security schemes proposed for wired
networks cannot be adopted directly.

In this talk, I will present our solutions for providing efficient security
mechanisms for these resource-constrained sensor systems. First, I will
introduce our key management protocol LEAP, which supports the establishment of
multiple types of keys for each sensor node. Two salient features of LEAP are
its support for in-network processing and its ability to restrict the security
impact of a node compromise to the immediate network neighborhood of the
compromised node.

The second part of my talk will cover two authentication schemes for sensor
networks. Specifically, the first one is designed to support local broadcast
authentication, which is one of the primary security operations required in
sensor networks. The second one is for preventing false data injection attacks
in which an adversary injects false data into a sensor network with the goal of
deceiving the network controller or depleting the resources of the relaying
nodes. Both the schemes are shown to be efficient with respect to the security
they provide.

Bio: Sencun Zhu is currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Information
and Software Engineering at George Mason University. Before joining GMU, he
received the B.S. degree in Precision Instruments from Tsinghua University,
China, in 1996 and the M.S. degree in Signal Processing from University of
Science and Technology of China in 1999. His research focuses on network and
system security, ad hoc and sensor networks, peer-to-peer computing.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact Carole
at 773.702.5033 or cfkipp at tti-c.org.

For information on future TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events
page at http://www.tti-c.org/events.shtml

Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago